Saturday, April 21, 2012

Conversation from the Gun Range #1


“Is this a good gun for home defense?”

“No sir, not really.”

“It's not?”

“No.”

“What about for someone new to shooting?”

“Sir, this is a horrible gun for pretty much anything except as a toy.”

“Well, I told the guy over at the store, I was new to guns, and I needed something for home defense and target practice.”

“So he sold you a chrome Desert Eagle with a 10 inch barrel, in .50AE? Wow.”

“He also sold me a Smith &Wesson MP 22 pistol. That way, I could leave the big gun at home with my pregnant wife and take the little with me to work.”

“Let me get this straight, you didn't just walk in, and throw down a lot of money, and said, “Shit, motherfucker, I want that big bad motherfucker! Set some shit off in this bitch, sheeeit!?”

“Uh, no.”

“You went in there, and told them what you just told me, and these are what they sold you?”

“Yes sir.”

“Let me guess, dark haired guy, glasses, mustache? Looks like he should probably be selling used cars?”

“Yeah, that's him. So, you're saying, he didn't hook me up? I didn't get a good deal?”

“Kid, the truth is, he fucked you. He fucked you, and he's probably laughing about this, while he counts your money.”

“What would you suggest?”

“I would suggest selling this shiny piece of shit, taking the money, and buying a used Glock 19 and a used pump shotgun of whatever make strikes your fancy, lots of ammo, and shooting the hell out of them. Get some training from a reputable teacher. You'll have enough money left over for steak and scotch. Lots of steak and scotch.”



This is an actual conversation I had with a young man who had just turned 21. I stayed an hour and a half, off the clock, teaching him how to shoot and clean his guns, as well as showing him several guns that would be much better choices. Not long after this I lost my job. My truck was in the shop for a month, and they replaced me. Honestly, I think they were looking for a reason. Which is fine, I was looking for a reason to leave. They looked down on my because I was fat, and knew what I was talking about, and I looked down on them for being crooked pieces of shit that would sell a .50 AE Desert Eagle to a kid looking for something for home defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment